stable vs. unstable ports?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Mar 22 13:21:20 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Darren Weber wrote:
> What is the general consensus on having a TAG for each port to
> indicate it's "success" status within the system?

I like this idea (and have mentioned something similar before, other
people also seem receptive).

> Is it possible to have a meta-port monitor that automatically tracks
> the status of each package install and reports that status back to a
> central repository to continuously flag the status of a port
> install.  A simple dichotomy of stable and unstable might suffice
> (Debian uses stable, unstable, and testing).  Perhaps the monitoring
> system could provide the data required to justify these port status
> levels.

This kind of things is certainly possible, it just requires someone to
be willing to take the time to do it.

I encourage anyone who is interested in this sort of thing to start
playing with the macports source and see what you can come up with.
Feel free to discuss on the -dev list (and irc) with people who are
more familiar with the base source.

The key thing to realize is that MacPorts is all done by volunteers,
and the best way to get some functionality you want is to go ahead and
implement it yourself.

--
Daniel J. Luke