stable vs. unstable ports?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Mar 22 17:18:36 PDT 2009

Darren Weber wrote:

> I've noticed problems during port upgrades.
>
> What is the general consensus on having a TAG for each port to indicate
> it's "success" status within the system?
>
> Is it possible to have a meta-port monitor that automatically tracks the
> status of each package install and reports that status back to a central
> repository to continuously flag the status of a port install.  A simple
> dichotomy of stable and unstable might suffice (Debian uses stable,
> unstable, and testing).  Perhaps the monitoring system could provide the
> data required to justify these port status levels.

IIRC, last time something like this was proposed, the consensus was that
"phoning home" is evil and MacPorts shouldn't do it. (The focus then was
more on collecting stats on how often each port is used.) Personally I
don't see what the problem is as long as it's opt-in.

Of course, if we had a build farm producing binaries (see discussion
currently ongoing), this information could also be produced by it
incidentally to its main function.

- Josh