compile farm?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 23 00:33:27 PDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 01:11, Darren Weber wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Darren Weber wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible to use the sourceforge compile farm to provide
>> binary
>> > distros for macports?
>>
>> The sourceforge compile farm does not exist any more for at least two
>> years now.
>
> An Xgrid system?

As stated in "Re: port install efficiency issue", finding computers
to serve as a build farm should not be a problem. I believe our Apple
representatives have even offered such resources already. What we
need to discuss is how the build farm would work. Someone (apologies;
I forget who) already worked on a script to build a port in a clean
environment. I think what still is needed is to then package that up
and send it to a download server. Then we need code in the MacPorts
base code to check for and if available download those binaries
instead of building from source.