compile farm?

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Mon Mar 23 10:44:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2009, at 01:11, Darren Weber wrote:

>>> The sourceforge compile farm does not exist any more for at least two
>>> years now.
>>>

>> An Xgrid system?
>>

> As stated in "Re: port install efficiency issue", finding computers to
> serve as a build farm should not be a problem. I believe our Apple
> representatives have even offered such resources already. What we need to
> discuss is how the build farm would work. Someone (apologies; I forget who)
> already worked on a script to build a port in a clean environment. I think
> what still is needed is to then package that up and send it to a download
> server. Then we need code in the MacPorts base code to check for and if
> available download those binaries instead of building from source.

This suggestion may be too complicated, but it's a thought.  Suppose it is
possible to create a "virtual machine" or some kind of encapsulated "clean
environment" (perhaps like a java sdk or something), which can contain any
of the environments for OSX (10.x), or at least a standardized subset that
is required by default for macports builds.  Suppose such an environment
could be run from within any OSX system as a virtual machine. Suppose such a
"virtual environment" could be distributed on an Xgrid system, it could
provide a distributed build system for macports.

OK, back to reality...