stable vs. unstable ports?

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Wed Mar 25 19:11:33 PDT 2009

I've been working with macports under the mis-apprehension that it would
operate along the lines of freeBSD (and some frustration may arise mostly
from that lack of understanding).  I decided that it's time for me to do
some long-overdue homework.  I've been working mostly with linux (and
developed a preference for Debian-Ubuntu), so I need to get educated about
BSD, as macports seems to follow that model (to some extent).  In case it's
of interest to others, I found a few interesting links online (I apologize
if similar macports docs are available, I must check into that also):

http://www.freebsd.org/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/dev-model/book.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/using-sysinstall.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/index.html
Handbook downloads in multiple formats:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/

BSD jails (chroot)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/jails.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/virtualization.html

*NIX history
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/misc/bsd-family-tree?rev=1.115.2.3;content-type=text%2Fplain

freebsd vs openbsd (vs netbsd)
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/488714.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bsd-17/important-read-this-before-posting-177142/
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_3393051_1

BSD vs Linux
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

Bill Joy
I find it curious that Bill Joy created chroot to build BSD and then went on
to found Sun and probably contributed a lot to java design - perhaps the
whole idea of a chroot to build BSD might have been just the right
inspiration for the java vm and sdk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Joy
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/11/bill_joys_greatest_gift/