stable vs. unstable ports?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Mar 26 01:00:00 PDT 2009

Darren Weber wrote:

> I've been working with macports under the mis-apprehension that it
> would operate along the lines of freeBSD (and some frustration may
> arise mostly from that lack of understanding).  I decided that it's
> time for me to do some long-overdue homework.  I've been working
> mostly with linux (and developed a preference for Debian-Ubuntu),
> so I need to get educated about BSD, as macports seems to follow
> that model (to some extent).

Not only MacPorts, but also Mac OS X is closer to FreeBSD than to
Linux. On the other hand, many of the tools in use (such as bash or
make) are from GNU, so it's something of a mix between BSD and GNU...

For the really adventurous, it's even possible to install MacPorts on
FreeBSD and on GNU/Linux. There are packages available for FreeBSD,
Fedora and Ubuntu. Not many ports, but "base" should still run.

--anders