Uninstalling MacPorts

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Mar 30 10:54:20 PDT 2009

Keith Kaiser wrote:
> Is it possible uninstall all MacPorts installed code and MacPorts? If I
> do this how will it effect my OS, will it cause me problems at some very
> low level in OSX that I'm not aware of?

`sudo port -f uninstall installed`, then follow the instructions at:

<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts>

MP is designed not to interfere with previously installed software.

> I really wish I had never heard of MacPorts, it has caused my many hours
> of lost sleep, so how do I get rid of it at this point?
>
> Since no one can tell me how to even start resolving the infamous
> "Error: Unresolved inheritance operation" I really need to start all over.

Looking at recent tickets and commits, this appears to be caused by
programs incorrectly linking against the system X11, as opposed to the
libraries they depend on, which link against MacPorts X11. This seems to
have been caused by using the system-supplied imake instead of the imake
port.

Which port are you seeing this with?

- Josh