checking for gcc

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat May 2 07:09:09 PDT 2009

On 2009-05-02 15:48, Thomas De Contes wrote:
> Le 26 avr. 09 à 22:27, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
>> Regarding (2), MacPorts base does not complain about gcc 3.3 simply
>> because nobody has added code to do so. Actually, it should not
>> complain;  should just use /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 (on Tiger and Leopard)
>> regardless of what has been gcc_select'ed, but again nobody has yet
>> added code to do so. I do not know if there is any real problem
>> with compiling MacPorts base with gcc 3.3 on Tiger or Leopard.
>
> with gcc 3.3, i don't think there is any real problem,
>
> but when i put an other compiler which knows ada in my path, i get
> configure: error: Could not locate a working Objective-C runtime.
> so it would be nice to do it, so i won't have to change my path every
> time :-)

Please file a ticket against the port for which this happens. It has to
be patched to adhere CC from the environment (or configure call) instead
of calling gcc directly.

> [...]
> i just spoke about the case where /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 doesn't exist
> (see above)
>
> i find the error msg not explicit enough
> but if there is a nice msg when compiling MacPorts, we won't try to
> compile Ports without /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 :-)

This is what the configure macro AC_PROG_CC does. So this is rather an
issue to be addressed in autoconf (from which also other software would
benefit).

MacPorts just requires any C compiler to compile and does not limit this
to /usr/bin/gcc-4.0. I don't see a reason to do so. For ports MacPorts
is instructing other build systems to use a specific compiler as defined
in the defaults or in the port itself.

Rainer