Announcing: port_upgrade

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat May 9 18:35:22 PDT 2009

Why can't the wireshark port and similar ports have a "requires-
depends-rebuild" defaulting to false.

The port file could set it to true as needed. Some other "magic" could
happen in the mac ports base to figure out if it needs special
treatment.

If no other ports are registered to depend on the parent dependency,
it could just deactivate, uninstall, and install.

I see there being issue if the main ports dependency has other port
installed software that depends on the same software.

In those cases an interactive question could be asked.

I've actually been meaning to post here asking if making mac ports
have interactive modes would be a good idea.

My gut tells me a large amount of the questions on this list end up
being answered with instructions to add a -f or some other semi
agressive flag or set of forced uninstall reinstall steps.

Could this not be solved with yes/no interaction or a/b/c style q&a in
the shell?

I could see a very simple set of base conditions one could add to a
port file. Ports could return codes for every error and port
developers could have a base of directives to use to throw the install
into an interactive mode.

Just some food for thought. At the very least it may afford the
removal of a few wiki pages and free the list up from reprtitios
questions.

Also wanted to suggest "progress bars" for operations. I used yum the
other day and their little dashed line progress bar was pretty nice.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.