Announcing: port_upgrade

Scott C. Kennedy sck at nogas.org
Sat May 9 17:32:02 PDT 2009

Okay, maybe  I'm being a bit stupid here, but if I had I compiled
wireshark several months ago, and it required libpcap, however the port
for wireshark was upgraded BEFORE the port for libpcap... So, if I don't
rebuild wireshark AFTER the libpcap upgrade I would have a problem like
"The wireshark package depends on the major version of libpcap, and as
such requires rebuild when a new major version of that package is
pushed. <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/17361>"

But if I use port_upgrade, then I don't in fact jmr in this ticket even
agreed that "If someone uses "port upgrade outdated" and the bumped
libpcap doesn't result in dependencies (like wireshark) being rebuilt, I
think that's a bug with "port upgrade" and should not be fixed by
band-aiding ports every time their dependencies are changed. "

So, now there is an option for those of us wanting tools to work
reliably, and don't wish to spend hours trying to determine which
library version of hat dependancy was outdated by what to cause a bug,
when a simple re-compile solves the issue the first time around.

I fail to see the issue.

Scott