selfupdate error

Mark M Huntress markmh at bgsu.edu
Wed May 13 17:36:24 PDT 2009

I am new to this. I installed macports 1.7, and then did sudo ports selfupdate,
and it gave me this:
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts base: shell command "cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-tclpackage=/Library/Tcl --with-install-user=root --with-install-group=admin --with-directory-mode=0755 && make && make install" returned error 2

and later this:

sql.c:96: warning: passing argument 2 of 'Tcl_RegExpMatch' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
sql.c:96: warning: passing argument 3 of 'Tcl_RegExpMatch' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
cregistry.a registry.o entry.o sql.o
make[2]: cregistry.a: Command not found
make[2]: *** [cregistry.a] Error 127
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

So, am I screwed? What do I have to do to make it work?

I was hoping it would work anyway, and I tried to intall the Molden program,

%  cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/molden
%  sudo port install molden

but I don't even have a ports location directory.

I would appreciate any advice.

Should I maybe try to remove macports1.7 and reinstall?

Thanks