selfupdate error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 13 19:26:22 PDT 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 19:36, Mark M Huntress wrote:

> I am new to this.

Welcome to MacPorts!

> I installed macports 1.7, and then did sudo ports selfupdate,
> and it gave me this:
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error
> installing new MacPorts base: shell command "cd /opt/local/var/
> macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base && ./configure --
> prefix=/opt/local --with-tclpackage=/Library/Tcl --with-install-
> user=root --with-install-group=admin --with-directory-mode=0755 &&
> make && make install" returned error 2
>
> and later this:
>
> sql.c:96: warning: passing argument 2 of 'Tcl_RegExpMatch' discards
> qualifiers from pointer target type
> sql.c:96: warning: passing argument 3 of 'Tcl_RegExpMatch' discards
> qualifiers from pointer target type
> cregistry.a registry.o entry.o sql.o
> make[2]: cregistry.a: Command not found
> make[2]: *** [cregistry.a] Error 127
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>

> So, am I screwed? What do I have to do to make it work?

That's pretty curious. I haven't seen that before.

Is your ranlib program present? Type "which ranlib"; what does it
say? What about "ranlib -V"?

What version of Xcode do you have installed, on which OS, and which
Mac? If your Xcode or OS are not the latest, please update them and
try again. The latest Mac OS X versions are 10.4.11 and 10.5.7, and
the latest Xcode versions for those OS versions are 2.5 and 3.1.2,
respectively. You can get the latest Mac OS X via Software Update,
and the latest Xcode can be downloaded from

http://connect.apple.com

under Downloads > Developer Tools after you log in.

Alternately, instead of using selfupdate, you could install the
latest MacPorts 1.7.1 from disk image (dmg):

http://www.macports.org/install.php

However, if you're not able to compile MacPorts, it's likely you
won't be able to compile other software either, so we should really
figure out what's wrong on your system.

> I was hoping it would work anyway, and I tried to intall the Molden
> program,
>
> %  cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/molden
> %  sudo port install molden
>

> but I don't even have a ports location directory.

You're not supposed to. You have probably gotten those instructions
from the web site darwin ports dot com. Please be aware that that web
site contains incorrect instructions and is not affiliated with
MacPorts and you should therefore not refer to that web site for
anything. Correct documentation about MacPorts can be found in our
guide:

http://guide.macports.org/

If you're interested in more about the rogue web site, you can read
this page:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/DarwinPorts