qucs build error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 14 14:53:43 PDT 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 12:21, Bjarne Bäckström wrote:

> 14 maj 2009 kl. 05.08 skrev Ryan Schmidt:
>
>> On May 13, 2009, at 08:25, Bjarne Bäckström wrote:
>>
>>> On OS X 10.4.11 (intel) with a freshly installed MacPorts:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> /usr/bin/g++-4.0  -O2 -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new  -L/
>>> opt/local/lib -o qucs  -L/lib[...]
>>
>> Indeed, there should not be any directory "/lib". I wonder why
>> qucs is trying to look there.
>
>    Found the problem earlier in the build report:
>
> checking for Qt headers... found in /sw/include/qt
> checking for Qt... 3 (multi-threaded)
> checking for Qt library... found in /lib
>
>    Seems that it's rooting around where it has no business to do...
> So, I removed /sw/* from PATH, and tried to rebuild qucs.
>
> MacMini:~ bjarne$ echo $PATH
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

MacPorts does not use your PATH while building. It uses its own path
setup, specifically to avoid problems that might be caused by other
locations in your path.

>    Still same report:
>
> checking for Qt headers... found in /sw/include/qt
> checking for Qt... 3 (multi-threaded)
> checking for Qt library... found in /lib
>
>    So, I ran 'uninstall -f installed' and rebuilt everything. Still
> same problem:
>
> checking for Qt headers... found in /sw/include/qt
> checking for Qt... 3 (multi-threaded)
> checking for Qt library... found in /lib
>
>    Now I'm wondering, where does it get /sw from? ;-)

The qucs configure script explicitly mentions /sw. We could attempt
to patch the configure script to remove that reference. However, it
is not supported to have both MacPorts and Fink installed at the same
time, and you may run into similar issues with other ports. My
recommendation is to remove Fink, or at least rename /sw to something
else anytime you want to use MacPorts, because it can interfere like
this.

Similarly, some software, including qucs, will look at /usr/local for
dependencies. Therefore, it is unsupported to have anything in /usr/
local while using MacPorts.