What is the preferred or recommended gcc version?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu May 14 17:57:25 PDT 2009

On 2009-05-15 02:00, Darren Weber wrote:
> This one is not in the FAQ, yet, so here we go.
>
> Is there a general consensus, for the majority of ports without any
> specific build dependency, on which version of gcc is preferred or
> recommended for MacPorts?
>
> The following gcc variants are available:
>
> [ dweber at X ~ ]$ gcc_select -l
> Available versions:
> gcc40 mp-gcc42 mp-gcc43 mp-gcc44

gcc_select does not control which compiler will be used by MacPorts to
build ports. This is automatically selected in base for the configure
phase and available in the ${configure.cc} variable as Josh mentioned.
The gcc_select tool is only meant to set the compiler which is available
in PATH to the user.

Rainer