What is the preferred or recommended gcc version?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu May 14 23:31:03 PDT 2009

Darren Weber:

> Is there a general consensus, for the majority of ports without any
> specific build dependency, on which version of gcc is preferred or
> recommended for MacPorts?

I'd go with /usr/bin/gcc, as a generic recommendation.
(whether using MacPorts or just general on Mac OS X...)

It also happens to be the default for ${configure.cc} :
     switch -exact "${os.platform} ${os.major}" {
         "darwin 7" { set compiler gcc-3.3 }
         "darwin 8" { set compiler gcc-4.0 }
         "darwin 9" { set compiler gcc-4.0 }
         "darwin 10" { set compiler gcc-4.2 }
         default { set compiler gcc }
     }

Which means that the majority of ports don't need to do
anything particular, but just go with the default $CC.

--anders