"Reclaiming disk space" documentation/guide missing

Andreas Kotes count-macports at flatline.de
Sat May 23 10:24:18 PDT 2009

Hello,

I really love MacPorts (thanks to everyone maintaining it!), but I've
got a little request: Macports is using an awful lot of disk space once
you've got everything properly downloaded, built, installed, etc - in
most cases, it seems to clean up after itself, but there seem to be
things lurking behind - distfiles, old versions, things that aren't used
during runtime and could be created from scratch pretty fast, etc ...

I'd suggest to document how to get rid of as many of these files and as
possible, or even to add a command to 'port' that takes care of this for
the user.

Also, getting rid of unneded localization data (semi)automatically would
help a lot ...

Yes, I know disk space is comparatively cheap (well, not with SSDs, but
..), but nonetheless I tend to use all of it on any of my systems, so
I'm very concious about what's biiiig ... Right now, MacPorts is using
almost a gigabyte on my system, which is quite a lot for something
that's "only" complementing an existing Unix-system - with a
comparatively small amount of installed packages.

I'd hate to be without it, though - do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

   Andreas

--
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they’re not.
- Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra