can't selfupdate, can't install invalid command name "license"

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Nov 3 13:11:20 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 07:52:48PM +0100, Uwe Brauer said:
> Hello

First, note that you don't want to send emails to the macports-tickets list,
you want the macports-users list instead:

> I  just downloaded the last darwin port (1.7) for Leopard. Now 2
> problems occur

1.7 is old, and DarwinPorts has not existed for several years now, see

<http://www.macports.org/install.php>

for the current MacPorts version and

<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/DarwinPorts>

for info on naming.

> sudo port -d selfupdate
>
> gives me
> "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new
> MacPorts base: shell command "cd
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base &&
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-tclpackage=/Library/Tcl
> --with-install-user=root --with-install-group=admin
> --with-directory-mode=0755 && make && make install" returned error 1
> configure: error: in
> `/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base':
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.

Sounds like you may not have Xcode installed, which is a requirement as
MacPorts usually builds from source; see

<http://guide.macports.org/#installing>

for help on installing.

> and when I try to install say xemacs
> sudo port install xemacs
>
> I obtain
> Error: Unable to execute port: invalid command name "license"

This should be fixed once you get 1.8.1 installed, as well as the
livecheck.type error.

Bryan