breaking compatability

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Nov 13 09:29:23 PST 2009

On 2009-11-12 18:21 , Joris wrote:
> Hallo Rainer,
>
> More and more ports set the minimum_xcodeversions To {8 2.1.4}  , but
> work perfectly fine when set back to 2.1.1.
>
> It is a bit strange that a project like macports is forcing people to
> upgrade to a newer version, when the older one is still much used.
> I guess the 2.1.4 setting is set automatically and developers don't
> bother to check it if can be set back.
>
> Is is possible that this is discussed with the project leaders and
> maybe an automated [check lowest functional version] test/set script
> can be promoted, or some other way to slow down the endless
> forced-upgrade rat-race :)
>
> Kind regards
> //j

Xcode 2.1.x sounds pretty old. On Tiger you should use Xcode 2.5.

There are only a few ports that check Xcode compatibility at all. And
those that do are known to fail with lower versions which is why they
report the problem.

Rainer

PS: Please write to the macports-dev or macports-users list instead of
individual project members.