breaking compatability

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 13 13:43:02 PST 2009

> On 2009-11-12 18:21 , Joris wrote:
>>

>> More and more ports set the minimum_xcodeversions To {8 2.1.4}  , but
>> work perfectly fine when set back to 2.1.1.
>>
>> It is a bit strange that a project like macports is forcing people to
>> upgrade to a newer version, when the older one is still much used.
>> I guess the 2.1.4 setting is set automatically and developers don't
>> bother to check it if can be set back.
>>
>> Is is possible that this is discussed with the project leaders and
>> maybe an automated [check lowest functional version] test/set script
>> can be promoted, or some other way to slow down the endless
>> forced-upgrade rat-race :)

When you wrote "2.1.4" I assume you meant "2.4.1".

As Rainer wrote, ports that specifically check for an Xcode version do so because earlier versions have been found not to work with that port. You must upgrade Xcode to use those ports.

The MacPorts documentation states the minimum Xcode versions we will support. The minimum version supported for Tiger was recently changed from 2.4.1 to 2.5, for the simple fact that it is the latest version, has been out for a long time already, and is the version port maintainers will probably be using, thus it's the best-tested version for MacPorts on Tiger at this time.

I plan to modify the MacPorts disk image installers to prevent installation unless a sufficient version of Xcode is installed. We don't want to spend the limited manpower we have figuring out that problems users encounter have already been fixed in current versions of Xcode.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the endless upgrade race has ended for Tiger; Xcode 2.5 is probably the last version there will ever be. Please upgrade to it to ensure MacPorts works as well as possible.