macports 1.7.1 deprecated

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Nov 13 09:38:41 PST 2009

On 2009-11-11 16:57 , Dave Provine wrote:
> I hate to bother you about this, but it appears that macports 1.7.1 is now
> deprecated; is that correct? When trying to update packages, I'm getting the
> "invalid command name "license"" error on Mac OS X 10.3.9. I've Googled and
> searched the wiki/faq, but can find nothing that references the deprecation
> except for some list traffic around 31 August that talks about moving
> forward with 1.8.

As has been noted in the changelog at [1], the support for Mac OS X 10.3
Panther has been dropped with the release of version 1.8.0. The last
working version is 1.7.1. But you cannot use the current port tree
anymore with that old release as it only targets the latest release.

There is a snapshot of the source tree at [2] which has been tagged
right before 1.8.0 has been release and new features have been used in
the tree. But of course there will be no more updates.

The best would be to upgrade your OS to Leopard because you won't get a
newer Mac OS X version for PowerPC anyway.

Rainer

PS: Please write to the macports-users list instead of
individual project members: <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MailingLists>

[1]
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_8_0/base/ChangeLog
[2]