unison 2.32

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Sat Nov 14 05:41:24 PST 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:12:29 +0100, Jochen Küpper
<kuepper.jochen at googlemail.com> wrote:

thanks for the response.

> On 13.11.2009, at 16:42, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>
>> my question therefore is: if you've managed to get the commandline
>> version running would it not be possible
>> to provide this for the time being, for instance as a different port
>> 'unison-cli-only'? or is there another
>> way to get hold of it?
>
> Well, in a way an unison-devel port would be appropriate, using the 2.32
> sources. Maybe cli only, or with cli as a (non-default) variant.

yes, such `devel' variants might be a good idea in some instances. the
other
major case I know of is `mutt' where many other packaging systems provide
1.5.18 (e.g. on ubuntu or (for macos) fink)
while macports is stuck for years (literally) with 1.4.x since this
is the last officially declared stable release. the current situation
seems a little
debianesque :-)

> Why don’t you try to implement this, starting from a copy of the current
> unison port and come back with specific questions if this doesn’t work
> out?

because:

a) there seeminlgy is already a maintainer of this package
(eridius at macports.org)
    which whom I don't want to interfere.

b) someone seemingly got the cli version running already (Chris Scharver
<cssdev at mac.com>)
    a month or so ago, which would make doing it again redundant. my
initial post actually
    was essentially asking for making this available as 'unison-devel'

c) last not least: I would have to start from zero since I have nil
experience with this,
    this would mean substantial time and I can't do that right now (urgent
things to do and
    the migration from 10.4 on ppc
    to 10.6 on intel burning too much time already...)

needless to reiterate that I don't take it for granted that other people
put their time & energy
into macports and that I, at least, appreciate this honestly.

regards,

joerg