How can I know to which package a single component belongs?

Wolf Drechsel drechsel at verkehrsplanung.com
Mon Nov 30 11:15:09 PST 2009

Hello everybody,

this is the more gereral shape of a questions I issued yesterday:

Given is an error message following a "sudo port install xyz":

can't locate file for: <abcd>
file:<abcd> is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

I conclude that there must be something wrong with component <abcd>.
This <abcd> will normally be a part of a package ("port"), which I
have to take care of (install, look for bugs, update, acitvate /
deactivate variant etc.)

My question is: How do I find out which port does contain the
component <abcd> ?
Is there a database, a port command, just intelligent guessing - or a
"everybody (exept me) knows"…

Thanks and greetings,

Wolf