How to fix the problem of "Cannot open display"?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:12:21 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2009, at 16:32, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>
>> On Oct 4, 2009, at 16:54 , Peng Yu wrote:
>>>
>>> I started X11.app in /Applications/Utilities. But I still got the same
>>> error as that in my original post. What's the problem?
>>
>> You'll need to run gnome-terminal from the initial xterm, or from X11's
>> Application menu, or after starting X11 do "export DISPLAY=:0" in a
>> Terminal.app, or install the update do launchd will do forwarding
>> automatically.
>
> Starting on Leopard, Apple sets the DISPLAY variable for you in a way that
> X11 should auto-launch when you request an X11 program. So Brandon, you
> should not manually set DISPLAY, and Peng, I don't understand why X11 did
> not auto-launch for you. Do you have DISPLAY set to something in for example
> your .profile? If so, remove that, close the Terminal, open a new one, and
> try again.
>
> Also, note that you can install the xorg-server port and the quartz-wm port
> in MacPorts, and use /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app instead of Apple's
> /Applications/Utilities/X11.app. This is a slightly newer version of X11
> than the one you'd get from Apple.

I deleted 'export DISPLAY=localhost:0' in my ~/.bash_profile. I also
installed the xorg-server port and the quartz-wm port, and started
/Applications/MacPorts/X11.app. Then I started gnome-terminal. But I
got the following error. Would you please let me know how to fix this
problem?

$ gnome-terminal
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-blAgTJ/:0".
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
Failed to get the session bus: Not enough memory
Falling back to non-factory mode.
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you
have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
Failed to get connection to session: Not enough memory)
[...]
**
ERROR:terminal-app.c:1432:terminal_app_init: assertion failed:
(app->default_profile_id != NULL)
Abort trap