How to fix the problem of "Cannot open display"?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 4 20:05:44 PDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 20:12, Peng Yu wrote:

> I deleted 'export DISPLAY=localhost:0' in my ~/.bash_profile. I also
> installed the xorg-server port and the quartz-wm port, and started
> /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app. Then I started gnome-terminal. But I
> got the following error. Would you please let me know how to fix this
> problem?
>
> $ gnome-terminal
> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-blAgTJ/:0".

FYI, you can ignore the RANDR message.

> Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
> socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!

Sounds like org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is not loaded. You
should load it. It is provided by the dbus port, which should have
printed instructions for you upon installation advising you how to
load it. I believe the line it would have printed is:

launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-
session.plist

So run that command (not as sudo).