mp4v2, libmp4v2, and pango

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 7 05:48:50 PDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 07:31, Jeff Pitman wrote:

> 1. mp4v2 seems to replace libmp4v2,

Yes.

> but faac and mpeg4ip still depend on libmp4v2.

They don't appear to, at present:

$ port deps faac
Full Name: faac @1.28+universal
Build Dependencies:   autoconf, automake, libtool
Library Dependencies: mp4v2
$ port deps mpeg4ip
Full Name: mpeg4ip @1.5.0.1
mpeg4ip has no Build Dependencies, Runtime Dependencies, Fetch
Dependencies, Library Dependencies, Extract Dependencies
$

They probably did at one point -- specifically at a point when you
installed these ports, so those now-deleted dependencies are still
recorded in your registry.

> So, when I execute "sudo port -u uninstall", it gives the following
> error:
>
> $ sudo port -u uninstall
> --->  Unable to uninstall libmp4v2 1.5.0.1_0, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->    faac
> --->    mpeg4ip
> --->    faac
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend
> on libmp4v2 first.

It should be fine to force the uninstallation in this case.

sudo port -f uninstall libmp4v2 @1.5.0.1_0

> Seems like these tickets are tracking this issue:
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19141
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19142

They seem to be tracking issues relating to the transition from
libmp4v2 to mp4v2 but not specifically the issue of old dependencies
remaining in your registry, which is a known deficiency of registry
1.0 which is described here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13054

> 2. An older version of pango thinks it's newer than the real newer
> version of pango.
>
> $ sudo port upgrade outdated
> --->  Computing dependencies for pango
> --->  Fetching pango
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for pango
> --->  Extracting pango
> --->  Applying patches to pango
> --->  Configuring pango
> --->  Building pango
> --->  Staging pango into destroot
> --->  Deactivating pango @1.26.0_0+macosx
> --->  Computing dependencies for pango
> --->  Installing pango @1.24.5_0+macosx
> --->  Activating pango @1.24.5_0+macosx
> --->  Cleaning pango
> $ sudo port activate pango
> --->  The following versions of pango are currently installed:
> --->    pango @1.24.5_0+macosx (active)
> --->    pango @1.26.0_0+macosx
> Error: port activate failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
> version as recorded in the port registry.
>
> I see this ticket describes a big problem with 1.26:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/21624

Yes, and as you see, I therefore downgraded pango from 1.26.0 back to
1.24.5 in order to fix this problem:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21624#comment:7

Hopefully the pango developers will be able to figure out what caused
this problem, and to fix it, and a future version of pango will again
work well for us.

> However, my gimp has been rendered completely unusable with the
> latest upgrades. :(

I'm sorry to hear that. I saw your other email about dbus bus errors
but I'm afraid I have no insight on them. If you are having yet
additional issues, please describe them.