Problem with Snow Leopard and gnuplot

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 09:49:13 PDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 11:12, Wesley Bland wrote:

> I'm having a problem installing gnuplot on my Snow Leopard box from
> macports.  I've already done a port upgrade outdated to make sure
> everything is up to date and I've installed p5-libintl-perl, but I'm
> still getting this error:
>
>> $ sudo port install gnuplot
>> --->  Computing dependencies for gnuplot
>> --->  Configuring p5-locale-gettext
>> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
>> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5
>> -locale-gettext/work/gettext-1.05" && /opt/local/bin/perl
>> Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor " returned error 2
>> Command output: checking for gettext... no
>> checking for gettext in -I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib -
>> lintl...gettext function not found. Please install libintl at Makefile.PL
>>  line 18.
>>  no
>>
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gd2 autoconf
>> help2man p5-locale-gettext m4 automake libtool xpm xorg-libX11 xorg-
>> bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto
>> xorg-libXdmcp xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-
>> xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans pdflib
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> I've Googled around for related problems, but I haven't seen
> anything that seems to be helpful to me.  This is a program I really
> need to do my work.  Does anyone know why I'd be getting this error?

There is this:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19381

But it only relates to building p5-locale-gettext for a different
architecture than the default one. Did you request a different
architecture by setting build_conf in macports.conf, or are you just
trying to build the default way, which should work?

I assume you upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard? If so, did you
follow the migration procedure and uninstall and reinstall all ports?

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration