How do I apply a patch for a failed macport install?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 8 20:29:47 PDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 22:17, Frank Licea wrote:

> The macport for sbcl failed when I tried to install it. I found the
> SnowLeopard issues wiki and it supplies some patches that can be
> applied to make-config.sh and Portfile.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20904
>
> I know how to apply a patch to make-config.org but I don't know how
> to apply to to Portfile. Where is this file located for sbcl?

The command "port file sbcl" tells you where sbcl's portfile is located.

> I also wonder how to "restart" the install not from the fetch phase
> but from the build phase once I have patched the necessary files.

If you modify the portfile, MacPorts will notice and clean the work
area and start again. The distfile will not need to be fetched again
because it was already fetched and is not stored in the work area but
in the distfiles area.

> Will installing the ports in this manner somehow screw up my
> macports install?

No, it's fine.

Note that assuming your ports directory is synced using rsync, as it
is by default, any changes you make to its contents will be wiped out
when you next "sudo port sync".