privoxy install v 3.0.12 needs default.action.master copied to default.action (Re: macports-users Digest, Vol 38, Issue 12)

David Henderson davidh at ipac.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 13 11:45:30 PDT 2009

Hello Peter,

I too was puzzled. The daemon would immediately exit. I ran it from
the command line and found that the configuration wasn't quite complete.

Hint: to run it from the terminal window:
    1. cd /opt/local/etc/privoxy
    2. make the files in that directory readable and executable
    3. simply run it from the shell:
        privoxy --no-daemon

What I found was that the macports build script does not do a step the
privoxy installer does, backup the "default.action" and copy
default.action.master over default.action.

So, I downloaded the 3.0.12 source for privoxy, untar'd it, and copied
the default.action.master file into /opt/local/etc/privoxy/
default.action

I found this out when Snow Leopard became the hot topic, and I
neglected to write a ticket on this.  Some action needs to be taken to
get it to start up without this manual configuration twiddling.

I'm at a loss what the correct build script action should be. At a
minimum it should copy default.action.master to /opt/local/etc/privoxy
and give the user a clue that it needs renaming to default.action

Any other ideas on how to resolve this from others more experienced
with macports?

David