Snow Leopard ate my ports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Oct 14 00:41:42 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-14 06:26, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> My question is, do I really need to reinstall all
> ports, or this SL on top of L is OK?  Last time, I migrated from
> 32-bit Leopard to 64-bit one (moving to a new MBP), and then I felt I
> had to do it, although 32-bit stuff still worked -- but there was a
> presumable advantage of getting thing recompiled under 64-bit gcc and
> stuff.  But are there any caveats why one should recompile a 64-bit
> Leopard-fathered ports setup after SL upgrade?

As Ryan said, the only method we endorse is that described on the
Migration wiki page. You would have run into problems if you tried to
keep the 32-bit ports next time you tried to install or upgrade
anything, as gcc would produce 64-bit binaries which would not be able
to link to the existing 32-bit ones. You could try to work around this
by setting build_arch to i386, but not all ports correctly respect this.
Additionally, there are platform variants which would be set incorrectly
in your existing ports.

In the case where your ports are already 64-bit, it is possible (but by
no means guaranteed) that things will work OK after you run

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants installed

in order to replace the old darwin_9 variants with darwin_10. But if
anything goes wrong, all we will suggest is following the Migration
instructions.

- Josh