Can I install an older version of MacPorts to easily compile i386 only on Snow Leopard?

Claudio Caballero cfcaballero at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 18:02:52 PDT 2009

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after upgrading my Mac Mini with a
fresh install of Snow Leopard, I can't figure out how to compile wine and
some other ports.

I've tried everything I could find by searching the web and lists to
completely build MacPorts as 32-bit only, but keep running into the
gettext/libintl issue.

Rather than keep beating my head against that particular wall, I was
wondering if there is an older version of MacPorts that doesn't know enough
to try and build for x86_64 and will just build for i386 by default?

TIA,

Claudio