Can I install an older version of MacPorts to easily compile i386 only on Snow Leopard?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 15 20:42:50 PDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 20:02, Claudio Caballero wrote:

> Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after upgrading my Mac Mini
> with a fresh install of Snow Leopard, I can’t figure out how to
> compile wine and some other ports.
>
> I’ve tried everything I could find by searching the web and lists to
> completely build MacPorts as 32-bit only, but keep running into the
> gettext/libintl issue.

What issue is that?

> Rather than keep beating my head against that particular wall, I was
> wondering if there is an older version of MacPorts that doesn’t know
> enough to try and build for x86_64 and will just build for i386 by
> default?

You cannot run an earlier version of MacPorts. Ports are no longer
compatible with older versions of MacPorts. Also, 1.8.0 is the first
version of MacPorts that works at all on Snow Leopard. Also, 1.8.0 is
the first version that knows about passing -arch flags. Prior versions
did not pass anything and assume the compiler will do the right thing.
On Snow Leopard, the compiler will build 64-bit by default so if you
somehow managed to get MacPorts 1.7 to work on it, it would build 64-
bit software for you, with no way to change it.

To build 32-bit only in MacPorts 1.8, set build_arch to i386 in
macports.conf. If you encounter problems, please report them.

A better way to get wine on Snow Leopard is to build all of wine's
dependencies with the +universal variant (which will build i386 and
x86_64), then install wine (or, currently on Snow Leopard, you'll have
to use wine-devel) (which will build i386 regardless of your
build_arch because the wine software is not 64-bit ready at this time).

It may be tricky to identify which dependencies you need to rebuild.
Once you identify them, you would run

sudo port upgrade --enforce-dependencies PORTNAME +universal

for each identified port.

I'm not sure what command would do this all for you automatically. If
someone knows it, please let me know.