Lost links to macPorts

Mine i.cue at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Oct 23 10:51:40 PDT 2009

Hi,

I recently had some problems with my system and had to reinstall it,
now it appears that I have lost links to macPorts. I first noticed a
problem when I opened Porticus and found that a lot of my ports were
outdated and I could not update them. I used Terminal to try and get a
list of port and got the following error:

$ port list
can't find package macports
     while executing
"package require macports"
     (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 39)

I searched for macPorts in the finder and found that there are macPorts
folder in opt/local/etc, opt/local/var, opt/local/share, etc., so I
assume
macPorts is still installed. Is there a way to relink to macPorts.
Alternatively,
if I install the latest version of macPorts will it over-write the
current version?

Thanks,

Terrence