Lost links to macPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 23 11:45:04 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:51, Mine wrote:

> I recently had some problems with my system and had to reinstall it,
> now it appears that I have lost links to macPorts. I first noticed a
> problem when I opened Porticus and found that a lot of my ports were
> outdated and I could not update them. I used Terminal to try and get a
> list of port and got the following error:
>
> $ port list
> can't find package macports
>     while executing
> "package require macports"
>     (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 39)
>
> I searched for macPorts in the finder and found that there are
> macPorts
> folder in opt/local/etc, opt/local/var, opt/local/share, etc., so I
> assume
> macPorts is still installed. Is there a way to relink to macPorts.
> Alternatively,
> if I install the latest version of macPorts will it over-write the
> current version?

It sounds like you've lost the directory /Library/Tcl/macports1.0.

I recommend you download the latest MacPorts disk image for your OS
from www.macports.org and install it. It will replace that directory
and update you to the latest, while not touching any ports you have
installed. Then you can "port outdated" and "sudo port upgrade"
things, or use Porticus, to get your ports upgraded.