Problems with gtk2 installer

Daniel Furrer daniel.furrer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 06:13:56 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I have a problem with the installer for an application (EiffelStudio) that I
am building for our first semester "Introduction to Programming" course.
The problem seems to be related to the gtk2 MacPorts package:

EiffelStudio will work fine if I install it with:
> sudo port install eiffelstudio64

installing it from the mpkg built with:
> port mpkg eiffelstudio64

on a freshly set-up Leopard (10.5.8) will hang eiffelstudio during startup.
(It starts X11 then nothing happens)

If I install MacPorts, build the gtk2 dependency and then install only the
eiffelstudio.pkg it works as expected.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this behavior?
Is there anything missing/different when installing gtk2 from the mpkg than
when I build it on the system itself?

Thanks and best regards,
Daniel

ps. It seems not to be not strictly a gtk2 problem either as when I disable
some parts of eiffelstudio (most notably image loading) I do get the
expected GTK window.
I have posted a similar question to the eiffelsoftware mailing list and will
let you know if/how we were able to solve the problem.