Third-party PHP extensions

John Korchok jkorchok at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:22:51 PDT 2009

I have a third party (not installed by MacPorts) php extension module "libpdf_php.so" that I formerly called using the extension_dir and extension settings in php.ini. When I upgraded to php 5.3 plus php-oracle and php-mysql, the installation warned me to remove the extension_dir setting, or my MacPorts-installed extensions would not work. I finally figured out that the new MacPorts extensions were in opt/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/, so I copied my third-party extension to that directory and also to opt/local/lib/php/extensions/, just for good measure.

Unfortunately, php is not able to find the extension in the new location. I am not clear where I can install third-party extensions now that I cannot use the extension_dir setting.