Non-working non-root install

Perry Lee perry at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 08:41:34 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
 > On Aug 31, 2009, at 11:25, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
 >
 >> I am attaching a script which reproduces the problem on my system
 >> (clean install of Snow Leopard), and the output I get. When you run
 >> it, do you see the problem on your system as well? You need to edit
 >> the user in the script. Note that it installs MacPorts in /tmp/mp and
 >> downloads the MacPorts source to /tmp/macportsbase. You can edit these
 >> at the top of the script too if you want.
 >
 > Can somebody please test what happens when they run this script on their
 > system? It will not affect your current MacPorts install. The version of
 > the script attached to this email is updated so that you don't need to
 > enter your username manually.

I just ran the script on my system (also a clean install of Snow
Leopard). Following is the output from `$PREFIX/bin/port install zlib`:

MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Computing dependencies for zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Fetching zlib
--->  Attempting to fetch zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2 from
http://distfiles.macports.org/zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Extracting zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Applying patches to zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Configuring zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Building zlib
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Staging zlib into destroot
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Installing zlib @1.2.3_2
Error: Target org.macports.install returned: could not set attributes of
"/tmp/mp/var/macports/software/zlib/1.2.3_2/tmp/mp/share/man/man3/zlib.3.gz":
permission denied