old CLI options removed (was: Re: Two errors compiling wine-devel)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 18:52:37 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 20:15, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2009-9-3 10:54, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> For each port that is a dependency of wine, e.g. freetype:
>>
>> sudo port upgrade --force freetype +universal
>>
>> (I think this is the new correct syntax for 1.8.0.)
>
> I'd use --enforce-variants rather than --force to avoid rebuilding
> anything that happens to be universal already.

I guess I don't fully understand what these new options do. Could you
provide a mapping from the old knowledge we already have of how
MacPorts 1.7.1 worked to how these new 1.8.0 options fit in?

I must also say I'm unhappy that existing command line mechanisms were
removed from MacPorts entirely in 1.8.0, rather than for example being
marked as deprecated and/or printing a warning. I have for some time
been using "port -ux upgrade" to upgrade ports, because I wanted
MacPorts to stop on errors, which is what "-x" did. We decided the
functionality of "-x" was so useful it should be the default in 1.8.0.
But now when I "port -ux upgrade" I'm just shown the usage message
(which even still lists the removed "-x" as a valid option -- a bug I
have already fixed on trunk). It would have been better to keep "-x"
for a few versions and make it a no-op (or make it print a warning)
rather than make it fail.

Similarly for rebuilding. I have been using "port -nf upgrade" for
years to force a rebuild of a port. Now it doesn't do that anymore,
and you closed my ticket [1] saying it behaves correctly. If there is
new syntax we prefer now for forcing rebuilds, fine, but it would have
been nice if MacPorts would have continued to honor the commands it
has up until 1.8.0 required in order to perform this function. There
are a few ports (graphviz, graphviz-devel, py26-scipy, pure, pure-
devel, and webdot) that print messages for the user advising them to
use "port -nf upgrade" to rebuild something; now those instructions
are inaccurate.

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20931