old CLI options removed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 18:59:24 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 20:52, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2009, at 20:15, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> I'd use --enforce-variants rather than --force to avoid rebuilding
>> anything that happens to be universal already.
>
> I guess I don't fully understand what these new options do. Could
> you provide a mapping from the old knowledge we already have of how
> MacPorts 1.7.1 worked to how these new 1.8.0 options fit in?

Ok, I see now you've already described the behavior in the ChangeLog
entry:

     - The upgrade action now accepts --force and --enforce-variants
options.
       The former causes ports to be rebuilt even if they are not
outdated, and
       the global -f option no longer has this effect (it had too many
effects
       already). The latter causes ports to be rebuilt if the requested
       variants do not match those installed (even if they are not
outdated).
       (#20156, jmr in r54376)

So... when we used to use "port -f upgrade foo" (which was never
because it used to rebuild ports multiple times) we should now use
"port upgrade --force foo"
when we used to use "port -nf upgrade foo +new_variant" we should now
use "port upgrade --enforce-variants foo +nev_variant"
when we used to use "port -nf upgrade foo" (no change in variants) we
should now use what? "port -n upgrade --force foo"?

I was wondering what "port -f" now does, and it appears you've already
described it here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16061#comment:2