Trying to rebuild on 10.6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 5 00:26:18 PDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 19:02, Mark Hattam wrote:

> Another day, another 4 hours wasted ...

I apologize for your frustration. Please remember that Snow Leopard is
quite different from Leopard internally, so there are many ports
failing to build properly and we are all scrambling to figure out how
to fix them. Not all of the MacPorts maintainers are running Snow
Leopard yet, and most of those of us who are have only had access to
it for a few days so far.

We're also dealing with what will over the next months probably become
the majority of the MacPorts population upgrading from Leopard to Snow
Leopard and having to deal with upgrading their MacPorts installs.
Until MacPorts 1.8.0, which was also just released days ago, the only
method available to upgrade MacPorts when switching to a major new OS
version is the one described first on the Migration page: to uninstall
everything and install everything again from scratch. The in-place
forced upgrade method described second on the Migration page is an
entirely new feature that most of us have also only been aware of for
a few days. We're trying our best to identify and fix the problems
with this method, but you'll have to be patient and if you can help us
out with this process we of course appreciate it. Keep in mind that
most of us are volunteers not getting paid to work on MacPorts, and
are doing so in our free time.

> TimeMachine backup
> OS 10.6 install
> XCode install
> Macports install (for SnowLeopard)
>
> Follow the "Automatic method" instructions at
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> Last login: Fri Sep  4 21:34:34 on console
> iMac:~ mark$ sudo port -f uninstall installed and \( gawk grep gsed \)

[...]

> iMac:~ mark$ sudo port upgrade --force installed
>
> sit back and wait ... not too long
>
> --->  Activating p5-locale-gettext @1.05_0
> --->  Cleaning p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Computing dependencies for help2man
> --->  Fetching help2man
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for help2man
> --->  Extracting help2man
> --->  Applying patches to help2man
> --->  Configuring help2man
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_help2man
> /work/help2man-1.36.4" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/
> opt/local/share/man --infodir=/opt/local/share/info " returned error 1
> Command output: checking for perl... /opt/local/bin/perl
> checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-4.2
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 accepts -g... yes
> checking for /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
> checking for library containing dlsym... none required
> checking for module Locale::gettext... no
> configure: error: perl module Locale::gettext required
>
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
>

> Which after some searching of tickets comes up looking like (plus a
> few others marked as duplicates)
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20953
> resolution "wontfix"
>
> that's handy
>
> So as the Migration page says ... "please report it so we can fix
> it." ...

I added that sentence to the instructions because of course it's
beneficial if bugs get reported and fixed. Sometimes reports aren't
bugs, but in the case of #20953, I'm not sure, and I've reopened it
with some additional comments. I'm not convinced a 32-bit perl would
be the cause, since according to the declared dependencies of the port
in question, perl should already have been rebuild, which would have
made it 64-bit. To test this, you could try explicitly rebuilding the
perl5 and perl5.8 ports first, or uninstalling them like the
instructions say to uninstall gawk, grep and gsed.

help2man builds correctly for me, but I did not follow the Migration
page; I installed Snow Leopard and MacPorts 1.8.0 from scratch.

> [[ TimeMachine'd it back to 10.5.8 ... why does Mail then insist on
> reimporting mail ... which is exactly the same mail that it had on
> the TimeMachine backup? Just adds another half hour to the process. ]]

I'm afraid I don't know.