Open Al: No universal variant in the port tree

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 6 05:13:39 PDT 2009

On Sep 5, 2009, at 16:38, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>> If you look into this, you might also want to update the version. The
>> request to update to version 1.1 was filed almost two years ago:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13587
>>
>> Perhaps an even newer version is available by now.
>
> <sigh>.
>
> OpenAl has been part of the OsX distribution since 10.4.
>
> This program (up til now) has worked fine on 10.3, and I think 10.2.
>
> Does anyone know an easy way, in general, to create a program such
> that it will link with a system provided library, if present, or a
> user provided version if it is not? If so, I can just make a PPC
> version for the old people, and not worry about it after that.

Usually, we want MacPorts to use its own copies of software, and not
use the ones Apple provides.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#syslibs

I don't know enough about OpenAL to know if it should be an exception
to this rule. If it should, then the port can just be deleted, since
MacPorts 1.8.0 does not work on Mac OS X 10.3 or earlier.