Upgrading to Snow Leopard makes my programs no longer link to ports

Paul Simonson psimonso at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 7 20:04:54 PDT 2009

Help!  I have recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and upgraded to the new
MacPorts for Snow Leopard (and I completely removed the old version of
MacPorts).  I have tried to reinstall my ports.  The ports download and compile
fine, but when I try to link to them (for example, to freeimage.a) in XCode, I get
the following messages:

Warnings: in /opt/local/libfreeimage.dylib, file is not of required architecture

and then all the files that use the freeimage library produce errors, saying
symbols not found.  First of all, why does it return an error about freeimage.dylib
when I am trying to link to freeimage.a?  Also, what can I do to get the
architecture problems to go away?  Change settings in XCode?  Change settings in
MacPorts?  This same type of error occurs for any library I try to link to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!