Upgrading to Snow Leopard makes my programs no longer link to ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 7 21:08:50 PDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 22:04, Paul Simonson wrote:

> Help!  I have recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and upgraded to the
> new
> MacPorts for Snow Leopard (and I completely removed the old version of
> MacPorts).  I have tried to reinstall my ports.  The ports download
> and compile
> fine, but when I try to link to them (for example, to freeimage.a)
> in XCode, I get
> the following messages:
>
> Warnings: in /opt/local/libfreeimage.dylib, file is not of required
> architecture
>
> and then all the files that use the freeimage library produce
> errors, saying
> symbols not found.  First of all, why does it return an error about
> freeimage.dylib
> when I am trying to link to freeimage.a?  Also, what can I do to get
> the
> architecture problems to go away?  Change settings in XCode?  Change
> settings in
> MacPorts?  This same type of error occurs for any library I try to
> link to.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On Snow Leopard (in MacPorts and otherwise), software builds for
architecture x86_64 by default, as opposed to i386, which is what
Leopard and Tiger used by default on Intel Macs. If you are not also
building for x86_64 in Xcode, then that's the problem. You can either
rebuild your ports with the +universal variant to build both x86_64
and i386, or change build_arch to i386 in macports.conf and rebuild
everything for just i386, if you don't want to build 64-bit.