Upgrading to Snow Leopard makes my programs no longer link to ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 8 11:52:18 PDT 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 13:48, Paul Dennis Simonson wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2009, at 11:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> On Snow Leopard (in MacPorts and otherwise), software builds for
>> architecture x86_64 by default, as opposed to i386, which is what
>> Leopard and Tiger used by default on Intel Macs. If you are not
>> also building for x86_64 in Xcode, then that's the problem. You can
>> either rebuild your ports with the +universal variant to build both
>> x86_64 and i386, or change build_arch to i386 in macports.conf and
>> rebuild everything for just i386, if you don't want to build 64-bit.

> How exactly do I rebuild the ports with the +universal variant?  I
> am not familiar with this.

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants installed +universal

...I think.

You can replace "installed" with particular port names, if you don't
want to rebuild all installed ports.

Not all our ports can build universal at this time so you may
encounter errors. If you do, please file tickets, if there aren't
already any for those ports.