Uninstall port fails, tries to delete /Users when macports installed in $HOME

Michael Williams mike at pentangle.net
Wed Sep 16 16:17:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have installed macports 1.8.0 in $HOME/.macports as I do not have
admin rights on my system. I did this by running:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/.macports --with-install-user=$USER --with-
install-group=staff --with-tclpackage=~/Library/Tcl --enable-readline

Everything seems to have installed fine, but when I uninstall ports I
get a rather worrying error message, e.g.

$ port uninstall bzip2
--->  Deactivating bzip2 @1.0.5_2+darwin
Error: port uninstall failed: error deleting "/Users": permission denied

and the port does not uninstall (still listed in the output of "port
installed"). My /Users directory appears to be otherwise intact,
although the error message is far from reassuring!

Is there a workaround to enable me to uninstall ports? And what does
the error message mean?

-- Mike