Install fails for gcc42 - libgfortran.a has no symbols?!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 24 11:41:04 PDT 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 06:50, Randy Burgess wrote:

> Having switched to Snow Leopard (10.6.1) for my white Macbook (Intel
> Core 2 Duo) I belatedly realized I needed to reinstall Macports.
> I've followed the migration instructions, i.e. installing the latest
> version of XCode (3.2, 1610) and of Macports (1.8.0), then cleaning
> removing old ports and re-installing ports I want to keep.
>
> My only problem so far has been trying to reinstall pdftk, which has
> a dependency of gcc42. Here's the error I keep getting for gcc42 -
> any help appreciated:
>
> bash-3.2$ sudo port install -d gcc42
> --->  Computing dependencies for gcc42
> --->  Fetching gcc42
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for gcc42
> --->  Extracting gcc42
> --->  Configuring gcc42
> --->  Building gcc42
> ^[[AError: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/
> opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_gcc42
> /work/build" && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2
> Command output: /usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libgfortran.a
> (_exp_c16.o) has no symbols
> /usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libgfortran.a(_log_r16.o) has no symbols

There is a ticket about gcc42 build failures on Snow Leopard but the
error is different than yours:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20933

Are you trying to build universal, or for the i386 arch, or for the
usual x86_64 arch?

As the maintainer of pdftk, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it
if gcc42 cannot be made to compile on Snow Leopard, since pdftk cannot
be updated to use a newer gcc unless the developers rewrite it a bit,
and the developers don't seem particularly interested in it anymore:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15420