Path

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 29 16:59:22 PDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 18:54, Peter Hindrichs wrote:

> Just doing some re reading of your website and was wondering if this
> path is acceptable.
> It seems rather long compared to your example.
> If it is, what can I do to clean this up ?

> PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/
> usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Well, /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin are specified twice, and
don't need to be. Investigate where in your shell init scripts the
path is being set, and see if you are perhaps adding the MacPorts
paths to it in two different places. If so, remove one.

You also have /usr/local/bin in your path, and it is not supported to
have anything in /usr/local/bin (lib, include, etc.) when using
MacPorts because it can interfere, so I recommend you remove that from
your path and remove whatever you have in /usr/local/bit (lib,
include, etc.) as well.