Path

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 29 17:31:41 PDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 19:09, Peter Hindrichs wrote:

> On 2009-09-29, at 19:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 29, 2009, at 18:54, Peter Hindrichs wrote:
>>
>>> Just doing some re reading of your website and was wondering if
>>> this path is acceptable.
>>> It seems rather long compared to your example.
>>> If it is, what can I do to clean this up ?
>>

>>> PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/
>>> sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
>>

>> Well, /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin are specified twice, and
>> don't need to be. Investigate where in your shell init scripts the
>> path is being set, and see if you are perhaps adding the MacPorts
>> paths to it in two different places. If so, remove one.
>
> Pardon my ignorance how do I go about doing this.

I see your shell is bash:

>>> SHELL=/bin/bash

Bash might look in one of several files for its initialization
instructions. These files are
called .profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc, .login, and .bash_login, and
would be directly in your home directory. Which of those files do you
have, and what is their contents?

>> You also have /usr/local/bin in your path, and it is not supported
>> to have anything in /usr/local/bin (lib, include, etc.) when using
>> MacPorts because it can interfere, so I recommend you remove that
>> from your path and remove whatever you have in /usr/local/bit (lib,
>> include, etc.) as well.
>
> Again the same here.

What's in /usr/local? Find out with:

find /usr/local