/usr/local

Peter B. West lists at pbw.id.au
Tue Sep 29 21:59:05 PDT 2009

Following some recent messages about problems with software in /usr/
local. I had a look. I had quite a bit of stuff in there.

hg
mysql
tcl/tk
gfortran
gcc in libexec
wireshark

I removed the mysql, and installed mysql5-devel and mysql5-server-
devel from MacPorts.

I removed wireshark from Applications, and cleaned up as best I could
in /use/local. Now I notice that someone else is reporting wireshark
problems. I haven't tried to install yet.

The tcl/tk and gfortran came with the R installation. I removed R, and
tried to install again with a manual location override. Unfortunately,
although R itself goes in appropriate places, the tcl/tk and fortran
extensions go into /usr/local, and can't be persuaded other wise.

Trying to install R, I ran into a problem with cairo, which I recall
seeing discussed recently, but can't remember the details.

MacFUSE is also in /usr/local, and I don't know what it was associated
with, so I left it there.

I installed 1.8.1 using selfupdate. Is there some simple procedure I
should be applying, that will let everything build?

Peter