/usr/local

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 29 22:21:03 PDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 23:59, Peter B. West wrote:

> Following some recent messages about problems with software in /usr/
> local. I had a look. I had quite a bit of stuff in there.
>
> hg
> mysql
> tcl/tk
> gfortran
> gcc in libexec
> wireshark

Note it is only software that is installed in prefix /usr/local (e.g. /
usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, etc.) that is a problem. Software
installed in a prefix somewhere under /usr/local (e.g. /usr/local/
mysql/bin, /usr/local/mysql/lib) is no problem at all.

> I removed the mysql, and installed mysql5-devel and mysql5-server-
> devel from MacPorts.
>
> I removed wireshark from Applications, and cleaned up as best I
> could in /use/local. Now I notice that someone else is reporting
> wireshark problems. I haven't tried to install yet.

pango 1.26.0 was causing widespread problems. I reverted pango to
1.24.5 and await resolution from the developers of pango.

> The tcl/tk and gfortran came with the R installation. I removed R,
> and tried to install again with a manual location override.
> Unfortunately, although R itself goes in appropriate places, the tcl/
> tk and fortran extensions go into /usr/local, and can't be persuaded
> other wise.

I didn't quite understand: you're installing the R port in MacPorts,
or some other standalone R package? You should be installing it using
MacPorts. "sudo port install R". If that is what you're doing, then
please explain a bit more, maybe show which files go where.

> Trying to install R, I ran into a problem with cairo, which I recall
> seeing discussed recently, but can't remember the details.

The one you filed as #21710?

> MacFUSE is also in /usr/local, and I don't know what it was
> associated with, so I left it there.

FYI MacFUSE is also available in MacPorts. "sudo port install macfuse"
-- though it is an older version. I'm not clear on why it has not been
updated to the latest version. There is an open ticket.

> I installed 1.8.1 using selfupdate. Is there some simple procedure I
> should be applying, that will let everything build?

Other than following the Migration procedure if you upgrade to a new
major version of Mac OS X, you should just be able to install ports.
If they don't work, please file tickets so they can be fixed.