build_arch

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Sep 30 14:27:55 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-1 05:18, Scott Haneda wrote:
> I do not see build_arch in macports.conf

It was added in 1.8.0, and we don't change pre-existing config files.
You can diff against macports.conf.default to see what's new/changed.

> I am trying to go all 64 on a PowerMac Dual PPC G5
>
> If I set universal_archs to ppc ppc64 does that means that default will
> build ppc, and a flag will tell it to be ppc64?

The usual behaviour will be to build for $build_arch, which defaults to
ppc on all PowerPC machines. If you select the universal variant (which
not all ports have), then the port will be built for $universal_archs
instead.

> I would like to default to ppc64, if that does not work, how do I tell
> MP to go back to the usual way?

You should really only change build_arch when nothing is installed,
since dependencies have to have the arch(s) used by their dependents. If
you want to change it again later, you should uninstall all ports first
(or at least all those that are not installed with +universal).

- Josh